How to stop a non responsive Minecraft server
Sometimes Minecraft will halt and won't respond to stop commands. When this happens you'll need to terminate the process.
Terminate the java process.
- Log into your server using PuTTY. See our Using PuTTY on how to do that.
- Type top into the command line.
- Find the process that says java on the right side. Or the process that is using the largest amount of cpu power, ie: 100%, 200% etc.
- Hit Ctrl+C to exit the processes screen.
- Now back at the command line, type kill -9 PID# (see screenshot)
- Type top again to confirm java's gone. If not, try step 3 again.
Now that Minecraft's stopped, you can start Minecraft as normal and/or close PuTTY.
McMyAdmin users checkout our Restarting your McMyAdmin server page on how to (re)start McMyAdmin