All times are UTC - 6 hours

It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:49 am

Post subject: World Holes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:34 pm 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Hey hey, it's me Sil, back at it again with another support question. Hope you aren't getting sick of me yet, but here's hoping I don't have to do any more of these.

So, the server has been humming along really well lately with 0 complaints, however the other day completely out of the blue (a regular day, no plugins or major changes were made) I found a world hole that appeared in the dock area of my build. It is shaped like a T and had 4 major chunks involved.
Now, depending on where you were in relation to this "T" world hole it would show you different glitches. One view would make all the chunks in a line off into render limit disappear, one would make everything disappear, and another would show a rectangle, etc etc. I've never seen a minecraft corruption quite like that. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/5u3VL
No errors in console show anything, and using the minecraft keystroke of F3+A reloads the chunks and the area fixes itself until the next relog. The issue is that this glitch happens in the same location for all players, pointing to it not necessarily being a clientside issue. It is currently the only one we've found, but we've been working primarily in one region and I'm almost scared to go elsewhere.

The first time this happened I exported the world and opened it up in MCEDIT to see what was going on with those chunks in particular. Found a rogue horse entity whom I removed life from, uploaded the server, and everything was good for a week.
A week. After that blissful period of time the infamous world hole has appeared again in full force.
I am currently exporting again and attempting to simply regenerate the chunks completely, but does anybody know what these are, how they're happening, what I can do to prevent, etc?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been wonderful so far.

UPDATE: I regenerated the chunks to vanilla default in MCEDIT, reuploaded to no avail. The cursed world holes appeared yet again.

HOWEVER, in troubleshooting this morning I managed to relocate where the hole was. By changing the server's config "max-view" area to the max of 15 instead of 8, the world hole appeared, but on the other side of the river, roughly 6 or 7 new chunks away.

Post subject: Re: World Holes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like you are following the proper trouble shooting procedures for this.

My only advice right now would be to temporarily disable any mods/plugins you are running so they can be ruled out as a possible cause.

Other than that right now, most people appear to be following what you are doing with MCEdit:

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/solved ... nks.21656/

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/su ... unk-errors

I would try and keep the view distance to a max of 10 for better overall server performance. Also how often are you running daily restarts on your server? You may want to have shorter intervals, maybe 6 or 8 hour restarts to free up server memory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 am 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Tried MCEDIT recently and it always comes back that the map is fine. Tried a region fixer too which gives me the same thing.

Here's where I'm at right now: Changing the max render distance changes the location of the world holes, so it's gotta be something with that. I'm sure of it. I'm attempting to remove dynmap and everything slowly to check for a potential plugin cause now.

Server restarts run about 3 times a day, or whatever the default is. How do I adjust their schedule?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, if the "holes" are moving it may not be a corrupt chunk but instead the famous Chunk Errors that have been around for ages: http://minecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Chunk_Error

I would say if you are restarting the server 3 times a day that should be good enough. However you can double check under: Server Tasks : Server Task Scheduler in mPanel.

Have you tried increasing the amount of ram when you launch the minecraft on your computer?

There are a few suggestions in this topic here as well: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mi ... hunk-error

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:46 am 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Yeah... definitely think it's a chunk error like you've suggested. This is really annoying, every time I try a "fix" it works for me, but whenever someone else logs in we typically see the issue rear it's head.
I was watching my minecraft debug and I never even got halfway to my max allotted RAM.
I'll delve into plugin checks tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, if I can think of anything else I'll let you know. Chunk errors are definitely quite annoying and sadly have been around the game even since Alpha. They are definitely not as common anymore but still do crop up from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

The mystery continues.
I don't know if this is related, but after an automated server restarts sections of the terrain that I was editing randomly defaulted to a previous version. All terrain was made within the hour, so it defaulted back to how it was within that time frame.
*Confusion*
http://imgur.com/a/GRXhA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bizarre :(

What version of ForgeMod are you currently running?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:32 pm 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

No mods present server-side. Spigot only.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, which version of Spigot? (mPanel was just updated to 1.11.1 yesterday).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:26 am 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Currently still on Spigot 1.10.2. Haven't upgraded to 1.11 due to plugins only usable on the 1.10 platform.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's something that looks like it's worth trying, may be related to what you are seeing:

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-62958

Quote:
Turn VBOs ON (Options -> Video Settings -> Use VBOs: ON)
Turn down render distance to an acceptable setting (where it doesn't produce the glitching)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:03 pm 
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

Yeah - I've seen this, but that bug is client side - due to multiple people having the issue immediately after a server-side activity, it has to be something server side.
From what I can gather, the chunks didn't save correctly or whatnot. We had 4 people online building and terraforming including myself. I was making those mountains in the imgur album, auto restart happened, come back online and those random chunks reset. Relogging and manual server restarts didn't solve the problem, so it isn't just a graphics setting unfortunately.